BEFORE YOU GO:
1. Get a passport (or renew an old one- but make sure that it is valid for at least six months after you return home)
2. Get a visa (if needed)
3. Call your credit card companies and let them know where you will be and get a list of their international fees
4. Order some local currency to go with from your bank
5. Pack smart!
6. Do your homework! Know the best time of the year to visit certain places, know safety precautions, best places to visit, best restaurants, etc.
7. Get to know a little bit about the culture and country you will be visiting BEFORE you go
8. Book your flight in a timely manner (about 6-8 weeks before the trip is usually suggested)
9. Get a transformer and/or adapter depending on where you will be going
10. Get vaccines (if needed) and purchase travel health insurance
WHILE YOU ARE THERE:
1. Avoid jet lag by getting your body on the new time zone as soon as possible
2. Get up early every day- there's so much to see and experience, don't waste the day sleeping
3. Make a list of things you want to see or do
4. Talk to the locals and get recommendations on restaurants, things to do, places to see, etc.
5. Try one new thing every day- who know's, you may love it
6. Make an effort to learn the local language (if applicable)
7. Immerse yourself in the culture- go outside of your comfort zone
8. Be smart and aware of your surroundings
9. Journal your thoughts and experiences
10.Take lots and lots of pictures
These are just a few of my favorites. What is your best piece of international travel advice?